Friday, March 4, 2011

ROASTED PORK LOIN & VEGGIES

I admit, I am NOT the biggest vegeatble fan. I think because growing up my parents only knew one way how to prepare them...BOIL THE HECK OUT OF THEM. That way, they were mushy, soggy and tasteless. And they expected us kids to eat them! GROSS! Now that I'M the parent, I rarely boil any vegetables. This is one of my absolute favorite ways to eat any and all veggies though;and my kids seem to think it's pretty darn good. You can use any type of roast meat or even a whole chicken. It's fast, easy and makes a wonderful Sunday dinner. Or if you need to impress the inlaws who have called to say they are coming over tomorrow night.

With most of my roasts, I pour just a little oil over it and rub it all over. This will help all seasoning stick to the meat instead of falling off as you turn it to season all sides. My rub of choice for my pork loin was Pappy's Prime Rib Rub. Pappy's is a popular seasoning that is made in Fresno and sold throughout California. Here in Utah, it's been a little harder to find. I have found it at the meat market and occasionaly at Kent's market. I'm sorry if neither of these are close to you. Just find a REALLY GOOD rub and cover that hunk of meat!





Place your roast on the rack of your roasting pan. You do NOT want the meat touching the bottom of the pan. Choose all your veggies and dice them up. For this dish I chose: Asparagus, carrots, onions, cabbage, mushrooms, potatoes and fresh garlic. (Fresh garlic is ALWAYS a must for me!) I threw all these veggies in a bowl, added a little oil, Balsalmic Vinegar and my favorite vegetable seasoning. McCormick Perfect Pinch Vegetable Seasoning. Sprinkle generously over your veggies then layer your vegetables around your meat. I baked mine at 435 deg. for about an hour. (MAKE SURE you bake according to your meat thermometer)



The finished product is both beautiful and delicious. I made a Lemon Basil rice pilaf to accompany our dinner. Though my 2 year old would have NOTHING to do with it, my other two boys were raving about it during dinner. The only sad part was, everyone got tired of leftovers so the dog got what was left. Yes, a perfectly wonderful meal had gone to the dog; AFTER the family had their fill though.

No comments:

Post a Comment